Popular Posts

Monday, January 14, 2013

An Unlikely Hero by Joshua's Sister Jamie

An Unlikely Hero
By Jamie Eisenstat


“Every time I took Joshua out to the store, I met at least 10 new people because 
he shook everybody's hand he saw and gave them a high five.” 

“Joshua Eisenstat was autistic and handicapped.  He had 2 to 5 grand mal seizures a day and countless mild ones. He broke his jaw and teeth and many other things falling from a height of 6'1" when we could not catch him.  He was 110 pounds but ate like a pig.  The first thing he did when he came out of his seizures was say "hi" and look at us like why are you all around me.  He had no self help skills and could never be left alone.  Yet he was the happiest person I know and he was always so positive.  Even when he was laying in the hospital bed with kidney problems he was smiling and laughing.  Every time I took Joshua out to the store, I met at least 10 new people because he shook everybody's hand he saw and gave them a high five.  Up until his last conscious breath he laughed although it was very weak, he still managed to make everybody's day.  He died of an enlarged heart that we didn't find out about until his last 45 minutes of life.  He is my hero because he taught me that no matter how hard your trials are, you can still be the happiest person on earth.  He was what you call a ‘perfect example.’”  (Jamie Eisenstat, March 2007.)

No comments:

Post a Comment