Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

1st Annual World Autism Day - A Slice of Pure Heaven

1st annual World Autism Day -- "A Slice of Pure Heaven"
One Mother's Story -- CNN Spotlights Joshua
April 2, 2008 --

My tears were full of joy and sorrow, gratitude and wonder, and as they streamed down my cheeks,
completely full of a mother's love for her precious son.



In March 2008, I had a very unexpected phone call from CNN.  I had to ask myself, you mean "the CNN?"  Why would they be calling me?  Kate Taylor, a wonderful lady, explained that Joshua's story had been submitted for World Autism Day which would be on April 2nd.  This would be the 1st annual World Autism Day, and we were being asked to participate in this special and inspiring event!

I was overwhelmed, with joy, that Joshua's life might be remembered in such a special way, and globally too!  I was so excited and later called my brother Doug to tell him.  Within a few moments, I found out that my incredible brother Doug, was the one who had submitted Joshua's story and pictures.  This touched me so deeply.  As Kate and I connected on the phone, and because CNN was stationed in Atlanta, an interview was scheduled with me over the phone.  They also asked for permission to use any of Doug's pictures and videos he had submitted.  As the date of World Autism Day drew closer I was very excited.  But I was trying not to be too excited since I (and many others) had been told that only a few stories would be selected and they did not known which ones yet.  They would be spotlighting stories throughout the day on the TV and also on their website.  As this was the night before, I woke up early in the morning and started watching the news. 

I cannot even explain the feeling of wonder, gratitude and joy that enveloped me when early in the morning a beautiful newsclip of Joshua was given on TV.  It was amazing!  And then, this happened several more times throughout the day.  I went to work for a little while and shared with my wonderful friends the blessings that had already occurred.  It was definitely hard to concentrate and to work.  While I was at work I pulled up the CNN website.  I was even more deeply overcome when the cover picture that day was one of my favorite pictures of me and Joshua -- in a tight, huge and happy hug.  The cover story came with a video presentation of my interview combined with pictures and videos submitted by Doug.  It was beautifully put together, and I could not stop the tears from flowing.  My tears were full of joy and sorrow, gratitude and wonder, and as they streamed down my cheeks, completely full of a mother's love for her precious son.

Readers respond: living with autism
CNN marked World Autism Awareness Day this past week by taking an unprecedented look at this mysterious disorder. The public’s response was quick and heartfelt. Readers gave moving accounts of living with and loving someone with autism. We share some of these stories from CNN iReporters, including one from the mother of an autistic boy who says she received a "a slice of pure heaven in her home."



I miss Joshua every day, I miss his mission and life and this brought some sweet healing to know that he will continue to live on throughout the world. I miss the slice of heaven we daily experienced with his pure love and mission.  I quickly sent out emails and messages so we could share this happy time as family and friends. 

Here is the link to the Website interview:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/04/01/autism.ireports/index.html

Here is the link to the blog set up by Doug, which includes several of the TV interviews:
http://joshuaeisenstat.blogspot.com/

Here is the link to my blog writings on Joshua and our life together:
joshuasheartfullofhugs.blogspot.com 

This wonderful experience with CNN became even more meaningful as we then had responses from people throughout the Nation expressing tender and beautiful feelings after reading Joshua's story.  We even had a kind and sensitive gentleman begin donating to our Adapted Hockey Team here in Utah County.  Another sweet experience came when "Stop Think Autism" did their own cover of CNN's World Autism Day:
http://stopthinkautism.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-inspiration-from-joshua-eisenstats.html

There is incredible joy to know that Joshua's life will bless the lives of family, friends and strangers, as we enthusiastically celebrated the life and mission of Joshua on this special World Autism Day.

#lightitupblue
#autismawareness




No comments:

Post a Comment