Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Joy at American Fork Jr. High

The Joy at American Fork Jr. High
3 Years of the Miracles of Inclusion and Love
They taught, they loved, they had vision and they always brought joy to Joshua's life,
and thus to mine as well.




Joshua and Kendle at a Special Olympics Track Meet
 A few days ago I was visiting my parents in St. George, Utah.  On Sunday, we attended their church meetings at their LDS Ward.  After the first meeting (Sacrament Meeting), we helped my 89 year-old dad into the foyer to wait for my mom to bring him home.  By the time we helped him and said hi to some friends the Sunday School class was half-way over.  But I still wanted to attend Sunday School, and get at least half the lesson.  We peeked in the first door but that side of the classroom was full.  We then went in the other door and found a nice spot to the side without creating too much distraction by walking in late.  Eager to hear the lesson, I then looked at the teacher, and was completely shocked to see Joshua's amazing and beautiful teacher from American Fork Jr. High, Kendle Salisbury!  As I looked at her, she gave a slight wave, but continued on with her lesson.  I was overwhelmed with the joy of seeing her, of remembering three miraculous years at American Fork Jr. High and all that Joshua had learned and experienced because of her dedication, love and hard work.  Her lesson was on trials, and I couldn't help but to think about Joshua and his daily adversity, but with the accompanying blessings that continuously came our way.  And we were so blessed to have Kendle for his teacher.  Kendle's aid, Carroll Barlow, also gave him so much time, attention and love.  They taught, they loved, they had vision and they always brought joy to Joshua's life, and thus to mine as well.

Some of the highlights for Joshua from age 13 to 16 at American Fork Jr. High included:
  • being an office aid and learning to walk by himself from his classroom to the main office (it was priceless to be a silent observer and watch this great accomplishment);
  • learning to get his food in the cafeteria, eat at the table and then throw his trash in the garbage and return the tray;
  • increased computer skills (which he loved);
  • participating in a choir concert (it was thrilling to watch him stand with the choir, even though he didn't sing even one note);
  • high fives, hugs and handshakes to junior high students every day and bringing smiles to many, many faces.
These few highlights are just the beginning of hundreds of experiences.  This post will likely grow as memories are brought to the surface.  Kendle and Carroll's influences live on in our hearts with gratitude and love for giving Joshua the gifts of learning, acceptance, experiences and love.  I can never thank them enough. 
 
I was truly overcome with deep gratitude, joy and love when I saw Kendle a few days ago.  I miss Joshua every day, and ache to see him again.  When I saw Kendle, and know of her love and sacrifice for Joshua, this brings him closer to me.  And so when she posted the following picture and thoughts on my Facebook, I was overwhelmed with the mutual feeling of friendship and understanding that came through my very special son.

From Kendle Salisbury

In the middle of my Gospel Doctrine lesson, I had a beautiful gift walk into my class. Selma is the mom of Joshua who was in my Special Education Life Skills class for 3yrs when I taught at AF Jr. High many years ago. He passed away several years ago but I still think of him often. He taught me so much! He brought so much joy to everyone he knew with his High Fives and great attitude! Thank you Selma for making my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment