Popular Posts

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Joshua and Papa - Escape into Heaven!

Joshua and Papa ... Escape into Heaven!
February 25, 2015

But now, he has escaped into heaven.  
And there is no doubt that Joshua was right there saying, "Papa, come here..."


Joshua and Grandpa at one of their favorite places - Zion National Park!
So many memories ... so much joy!

As I sat in my dad's hospital room watching him slip away from this life, I felt so deeply thankful for the blessing to have such an incredible man as my father.  He is the epitome of selflessness, hard work, sacrifice, and everything he has done has been for his wife, his children, his family, his church family and work friends.  Everything ...  
True love, at its finest!

And that makes his death that much more painful and lonely.  We always knew of his huge heart and love.  We always knew he wanted to help and be there for us.  And he and my mom were always there!  He died on February 25, 2015, just 3 days before his 90th birthday.  He leaves behind a legacy of love with his 12 children, his grandchildren, great-children and many loving family members and friends.


 And the love he has shown my Mom, their entire marriage, is inspiring, and a true love story.  He showed us everyday how much he loved his "wifie."  We always knew she meant everything to him!  In fact, we believe he hung on so long because he did not want to be without her.

His 90th birthday is on Saturday, February 28th, and we will love telling stories and examples of his love and sacrifice.  The stories are endless, they are powerful, they are full of love, and they are special!  He served in the Navy and we all love this awesome and handsome picture of my dad in his Navy uniform.


Grandpa holding Joshua ... a special bond from the start!
My Joshua and his "Papa" had a very special relationship from the day he was born.  I can still see my dad, sitting in my hospital room shortly after Joshua was born, and he was just chuckling with joy!  Papa loved having Joshua visit.  He would beam, he would chuckle.  Joshua knew that Papa loved him!!

We have hundreds of memories at Zion National Park, at the Sun Valley house, at the St. George house, McDonalds, multiple parks, and many, many other places.  In fact, Joshua would make such a mess at the St. George house that right when we would walk in, my dad would hand me a bottle of Windex and a rag.  We knew it would certainly be needed within minutes for sure!  His fingerprints are probably still all over their house!
My Dad, with sons Carl & Glenn at Joshua's graveside.

Papa was so sad, so devastated when Joshua died.  He lost his special buddy!  That very night, he and Susie watched slides of Joshua when Susie arrived in town, in the middle of the night.  He loved his Joshua!  He and I have loved to tell Joshua stories the last 9 years.  And I always cherish when he will randomly just say "I miss that boy."  I do too, every day!

Just a few days ago, as my Dad lay dying in the hospital from old age and dimentia, I called, and I talked to him - he did not say anything.  But after I hung up he said to Mom, Carl, Nancy and Ashley, "Where's Selma?"  Then Mom said he said "I saw a picture of Selma."  My Dad knew that I would need to hear that wonderful "Where's Selma" phrase.  And what a treasure that will always be.

His mental health went downhill fast.  In fact, they compared his actions to Joshua's behavior.  So many memories of Joshua doing the same things that my dad was doing. But our hearts broke at his confusion and his pain.  He wanted my brother, John, to help him escape from the hospital.


But now, he has escaped into heaven.  

And there is no doubt that Joshua was right there saying,
 "Papa, come here..."


We love you Dad and Papa!

Grandpa holding Jeremy and Joshua - Joshua is about to escape!

Joshua and Grandpa on the Narrows Hike in Zion National Park
We have been on that hike countless times!

Joshua being silly, and Grandpa looking on with joy!

Joshua and Grandpa at the beginning of the Narrows Hike at Zion National Park.
Jeremy is holding Jamie's hand behind them.

Grandpa helped Joshua on a flight to St. George, Utah.
This was no easy task -- this would not have been one of the quieter flights for sure!

Joshua and Grandpa at Zions National Park.
It really was a favorite place!

Grandpa, Joshua and friend Brad Barnes at Zion National Park.
Joshua's legs must be tired, but he still loves it!

Grandpa and Joshua both have legs that are more tired as time goes on.
Littlest brother Janson is helping to push Joshua's wheelchair!


Grandpa and Joshua enjoying the Virgin River at Zion National Park.
This is one way to rest tired legs -- just sit and throw rocks in the river!


Joshua, Grandma & Grandpa enjoying a fun moment!
This was the year Joshua passed away but he always found so much
joy in being with family!



We love you Mom & Dad, Grandma & Grandpa!
Me and My Great Kids!



No comments:

Post a Comment